Author Topic: Support for dropping the nap part 11  (Read 50537 times)

Offline Mattsmummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 37
« Reply #300 on: September 11, 2014, 13:53:20 pm »
quick question...
how much sleep is your LO getting in a day right now...
M is dropping his nap and is only taking about a 40/45 minute nap during the day and only getting about 10/10.5 hours at night. If I try and get him down earlier, its BT antics all around and it ends up being later than usual...

thoughts?
"But the fighter still remains"

Offline Aishi

• Showing Appreciation 105
« Reply #301 on: September 11, 2014, 18:39:53 pm »
Ugh i jinxed myself. I havent been able to get back on track after that 6am wu. I do 11h nnds and she sttn till 6 but then I'm stuck with 5pm BT! She had a shorter day today after a short night (5pm BT tho) vibes that she has a mammoth cu and I can get out of this rut!

MM- my dd is almost 32mo and her TS varies between 12-14h depending on whether she is ot or not
aishi :)

Offline Tabathagucci

• Showing Appreciation 2
Re: Support for dropping the nap part 11
« Reply #302 on: September 13, 2014, 14:07:59 pm »
Hi all!  Not sure if this would be considered the 1-0 transition or not.  I'm a bit lost!  My son still seems to need a nap but always says he doesn't want to take one.  He's always been the type where we needed to push the nap later when EW's and shorter nights started.  I've also been capping the nap on days where he doesn't wake himself by 4:15 or 4:30 pm.  He falls asleep for nap around 2:30.  I've been getting EW and short nights, waking before 7 am after falling asleep between 8:30 and 9:30.  The past two days I pushed nap later (2:45) and he had longer naps and shorter nights.  Wondering if his day sleep is robbing night sleep and I need to cap it at 1.5 hours or less?  Any guidance is much appreciated!

Offline My little Liam

• Showing Appreciation 4
  • Love them!
« Reply #303 on: September 13, 2014, 19:51:40 pm »
I dont really know where we stand at the moment...
This last week DS has been sick so we have been back to doing a nap everyday as he needed the sleep. He has been on the mend the past two days and we are now back to shorter nights again. Today he woke at 720 and it was so nice out so i took him to the zoo .he didnt nap but was begging to sleep at 1630. I didnt know what to do really and by the time i got dinner ready and gave him a bath and to bed he was asleep at 1830.
I dont know what to do. Should i go back to set BT and do a nap every 3-4 days or maybe i should actually be going by A times as he doesnt seem to do too well with set times right now. If so, i have no idea how much A i should do... Today was 11hr15 A. He opened his eyes at 2045 (i have a video monitor), rolled over and went straight back to sleep. Then at 2210 he rolled over and said something as if sleep talking. Is that considered an OT NW? He obviously didnt cry or anything but normally he would never do that on a day with a nap. Should i do a shorter A time? I am a bit worried about getting into a loop of 5-6am WU...
I kind of feel lost as to how to go back and forth between nap days and NND. He doesnt seem to tack on on the days we do a nap even after a few NND. I thought he would be more tired after a few NND and would have a longer night even after a nap.
I am so bad with transitions! Ugh...
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 20:27:28 pm by My little Liam »

Offline *Becky*

• Showing Appreciation 255
« Reply #304 on: September 16, 2014, 06:59:27 am »
we're having a hard time :(
M is OT right now and we are having early night wakings and some EWings too.
I am going to get her to nap today whatever even if I have to AP!

Henry James and Martha Rose - my spirited pair!

Offline trimbler

• Showing Appreciation 37
« Reply #305 on: September 16, 2014, 09:13:10 am »
Hi all!

Hugs Becky no one likes OT! But it always passes in the end, right? I'm afraid that's all I can say... We were out at a late wedding on Saturday and didn't get home until almost midnight, on a day when DS woke at 6am due to DD and couldn't nap due to travelling! I hardly know how I lasted that long, let alone him!

MLL - could you maybe have a set BT for nap days a little later than for NNDs? I think that could have been a little OT but not seriously so, unless you also had an EW?

Tabathagucci - welcome to the club! I'd definitely start capping, sounds like 1.5h could be a good place to start. That nap sounds pretty late to me, we also had to move ours later to a point, but stopped at 2pm with 7am WU. I can't help wondering whether your DS needs a shorter, earlier nap in order to have more A time to BT? E.g. Try going back to 2.30 nap (or earlier if you think he would get to sleep?) but cap at 4pm. Then maybe try for an 8pm BT? He may even be tired sooner due to both the shorter nap and the earlier WU from the nap. It does sound like naps robbing from nights to me.

Aishi - is she consistently doing 6am - 5pm days atm?

MM - is your DS really tired on that amount of sleep? If not I'd try not to worry, I think TS can tend to increase a little with a NND or when they drop the nap? Always did when my DS dropped a nap with each transition. Mine is 'offered' 12h TS whether or not he naps, but actually sleeps more without one. If your DS does seem really tired it might be time to cut the nap further or introduce some NNDs, what do you think?

Offline Aishi

« Reply #306 on: September 17, 2014, 05:36:08 am »
She was doing 5pm to 6.30/7,but then got cough and couldn't sleep so wu creeped earlier. She's been waking at 5.45/6 this week so I've had ridiculously easy bts ::) she can only handle up to 11.25h nnds which means I have to do such early BT or she has ew from ot anyway and is much harder to handle!

I did a capped nap yesterday to keep to an 11h day and to push the day out a little and I *think* that's fixed things somewhat so she did

Wu 5.50
Nap 1-1.30
Bt 5.30

She woke at 6.35 but has gone back to sleep :D so at least 13.5h TS inc nap. I think I'll try this again to push day out more. Ideally I'd like 6.30 BT...
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 05:38:40 am by Aishi »

Offline Tabathagucci

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #307 on: September 18, 2014, 03:01:16 am »
Thanks Trimbler!  Holy cow that's a loooong day!  But yes, OT always does pass.  :)

I have moved the nap back to putting him down between 2 and 2:15 so he's been getting to sleep before 2:30 now except for today, it'l was 2:35.  Seems like things have gotten a little better, although still sleeping between 11 and just under 12 hours total.  He is in good spirits so I guess he's doing ok!  Thanks again!  :)

Offline My little Liam

• Showing Appreciation 4
  • Love them!
« Reply #308 on: September 21, 2014, 06:38:10 am »
Hi Ladies! We have been going back and forth between nap days and NND. L has been doing 11.5-12.5hr nights on NND and 10.5 on nap days. Yesterday we were invited for a BBQ and by 5pm L was exhausted! We left and he fell asleep in the car at 520, transferred him to his bed and he slept through until 520am. While he was waiting for his gro-clock he fell back asleep at 645 and woke at 820!!!!! 13.5hr night!! :o :o :o

So now what? I am so happy he is so, so rested now and obviously this calls for another NND but i have no idea when to do BT now! I obviously dont want him to be UT at BT after such a long night but also dont want to do BT too late as that was obviously a CU he really needed! WWYD?

Offline Hedgehog17

• Showing Appreciation 71
« Reply #309 on: September 21, 2014, 09:30:09 am »
MLL - I'd just put him to bed at the usual time you'd do on a NND and see how he goes...

Well ladies I think we've now dropped the nap completely here!!  :o

He hasn't napped since the day before his 4th birthday, is currently doing 11.5hr nights, and seems to be coping well - lots of energy, good mood etc  :) DH tried to get DS to nap yesterday afternoon as he was yawning and seemed tired, but 20 mins after leaving him in his bed, DS was up and yelling from the top of the stairs that he needed to pee..! DH took him to the toilet, then popped him back into bed, and 10 mins later he was at the top of the stairs yelling again  ::)

I think I've adjusted now (that was harder!  ;) ) and am planning stuff for the afternoons when he isn't doing his music or his playball class. Sometimes we'll be at home, other times out, but it's flexible and he can chill with a book or some TV if he needs to  ;D

Thanks again for all the support, advice and hand holding  :-* :-* :-*

Offline My little Liam

• Showing Appreciation 4
  • Love them!
« Reply #310 on: September 21, 2014, 09:47:39 am »
Usual time without nap has been 630 lately. Isnt that too early???

Offline Hedgehog17

• Showing Appreciation 71
« Reply #311 on: September 21, 2014, 09:49:07 am »
If he's showing tired signs, go with 6.30. If he isn't, try 7 or 7.30 but no later  :-*

Offline Aishi

« Reply #312 on: October 01, 2014, 06:04:47 am »
Ugh 1-0 is getting ugly again :( we've dropped nap ct for a while now and have been doing 11h days but wu is early so bt is early and I'm getting stuck in a early start rut.

Mon wu 6 and bt 4.45
Yesterday wu was 6.30 and bt 4.45
Today wu 5.45

She can't do much more then 11h Nnd as she gets ot. I pd for bt too early yesterday I forgot what time she'd woken!

Any ideas how to shift day forward? Cn just leads to later night and ot

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #313 on: October 01, 2014, 08:42:48 am »
4.45pm?  Hun you can't expect a decent WU time on a regular basis with a bt that early :(. You've got to save that for complete and total utter meltdown days, not just early morning days.  That's the problem with sticking to a set day length, sleep needs are not exactly the same every single day so each time she does a slightly shorter night then your day will get earlier and earlier.  This is another time you're going to have to face the fear of OT again ;) and just put bt back in a sensible place and let her work it out.  If you think she needs a 13h night then set BT at 6pm, don't move it, and don't get her out of her room until 7am in the morning.  Get her a Gro clock or similar to reinforce morning WU time x

Offline TB9

• Showing Appreciation 60
« Reply #314 on: October 01, 2014, 18:08:41 pm »
Aishi - it really helped with dd1 when I finally just set bedtime at 7pm and let her regulate.  I wouldn't even consider putting her to bed early unless she was a massive disaster.

DD2 is well into her nap dropping now!  I am usually forcing a catnap between 2 and 3pm at some point, sometimes it's in the stroller because she has really started physically fighting nap (and I have the sore muscles to prove it!).  So her day looks like this:

6:30am(ish) Wakeup
2:30 - 2:50 Nap (at the latest, sometimes earlier)
7pm(ish) Bedtime

I feel like the cn is really helping keep her from getting ot, and it was something dd1 never would have fell for so I am sticking with it!