Author Topic: 2-1 transition help with 1 year old  (Read 30327 times)

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #105 on: July 16, 2016, 09:44:28 am »
With 4.75...yeah I imagine you'll need a CN unless he pulls off a really long nap.

With 5..I would likely do a day of 5A one nap 5A followed by a shorter A to bed the next day (so earlier bedtime)  and then back to 5/5.  You may find wake up starts to slip back and then I tended to do a 2 nap day every so often to get bedtime and wake up back to normal.

Does that make sense?

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
Re: 2-1 transition help with 1 year old
« Reply #106 on: July 16, 2016, 11:47:35 am »
Yes that makes perfect sense!

For days with an earlier bedtime, what would be a good A to aim for? 4.5?

So for example:
WU 8
S 1-3 (hopefully)
BT 7:30

What about if it's only a 1.5 hr nap; do I still do 5A to bed and so forth?
Jennifer xx

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #107 on: July 16, 2016, 12:06:26 pm »
Yes 4.5 seems fine.  Part of this is really getting him used to coping with the longer A times and so his sleep will get consolidated so there is a certain amount of OT that will go along with that.  I would only reduce the 5 hour A time days by maybe 15 mins if you get a shorter nap.

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #108 on: July 18, 2016, 11:36:37 am »
Ok that makes sense

Yesterday we had a one nap day (not on purpose); he gave me a short night.

We did this:

WU 8 am
S 1:30-2:45 pm (A 5.5; fought sleep while out; tried the stroller for an hour; and finally dropped off in the car; would not resettle)
S 7 pm (A 4:15; aimed for 4.5 but he fell asleep quicker than expected)

NW 11 pm, 3 am

Up at 6:30  :o; he woke up fussy and crying on and off; so it's going to be a 2 nap day since he woke up earlier. I'm wondering if it was OT or UT since he went to sleep earlier?

What sort of two nap routine did you do? I feel as though DS is similar in A times that yours had at this age.
Jennifer xx

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #109 on: July 20, 2016, 09:24:46 am »
A short night?  Although he woke at 6.30 it was an 11.5 hour night after an 11 hour day so I wouldn't have expected more than that ?  I don't think it was OT or UT just enough YK?

So on a days that starts earlier I'd do 5 hours to BT then nap for 1.5 then CN then bed

So

Wake up 6.30
Nap 11.30-1
CN 5pm for 15/20 mins
Bed 8.30

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #110 on: July 20, 2016, 11:48:26 am »
Haha true.

I can try the suggested two nap routine when he wakes earlier such as today. Last night he woke up crying for an hour  :( then woke up 3 more times and up before 7. Technically it was a little over a 12 hour night but I know I should have put him to bed earlier as it seems he was OT. We did:

WU 7:30 am
S 12:30- 2 pm
BT 7 pm

I probably should have done 6:30 since he had a 1.5 nap. Anyways, how do I get him to a 8 am wake up? I feel like we are going in circles between a 6:30-7:30 wake up while switching between 1 and 2 nap days.
Jennifer xx

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #111 on: July 20, 2016, 12:25:48 pm »
No I think that day looked good. I wouldn't let bedtime get too early given he doesn't really tack on to his night.

How is he with the 5 hours before nap?  Hopefully the nap will lengthen out a bit.

Likely a two nap day tomorrow?

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #112 on: July 20, 2016, 13:40:50 pm »
Depends on the day. Sometimes he can handle a 5 hour A then sometimes not. Same thing with a 5 hour A to bed. He also is just recovering from Roseola so maybe that's why he had a rough night off one nap. He's also teething so I guess it's an array of things.

Today I'm doing a two nap day because I want bedtime to be later again. I'm hoping he will make it to at least 5 A before his nap but he's been fussy all morning crying off and on. I'm not sure he will make it  ::) should I just push him despite his mood?

I just want this 2-1 madness to end  Lol
Jennifer xx

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #113 on: July 21, 2016, 04:42:56 am »
Anyways, how do I get him to a 8 am wake up? I feel like we are going in circles between a 6:30-7:30 wake up while switching between 1 and 2 nap days.

I don't know that you will be able to even try to tweak that until he is fully on one nap really. And even then it could just be his body clock. I would focus more on getting good nights and naps and leave the wake time for later - it may be shiftable or it may not. I worked to reinforce that DD3 played quietly in her crib until I got up (I stuck a few books in her crib before I went to bed and when she woke but it wasn't quite time to get up I reached in a flicked on the light and she found her books and toys and played.
Heidi

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #114 on: July 21, 2016, 08:08:34 am »
I agree. Until you're on one night I think wake up is going to be variable. And yes I would push to 5 hour A time unless he is ridiculously tired. Only way he'll get used to it. Once we were into it I did set nap and bedtime but that could be a push at this stage x

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #115 on: July 21, 2016, 21:49:45 pm »
Hey I was reading on your other thread about the feeding to sleep since being ill. That will likely also be contributing to him waking earlier and not resettling. Such a pain when the weaning was going so well.

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #116 on: July 22, 2016, 00:05:18 am »
Hi ladies!

Thanks once again for the insight. I may have to accept that I may not have the coveted 8-8 day lol

Anyways, turns out he's also teething molars  :P. Pediatrician said that looks like it's close to cutting. Makes sense why he has been wanting to nurse constantly and refusing a lot of food. Usually he eats everything. Anyways, I'm trying to gently discourage feeding to sleep which hasn't been easy considering it feels good to him but I don't want to let all the work of weaning go down the drain.

I was wondering about doing GW again but should I wait until after the molars come in?

Today was a one nap day disaster. He woke up at 7:45 so I decided I'll push for one nap:

WU 7:46 am
S 12:46-1:56 pm (A 5; would not resettle)

Tried for CN 4 hrs later and refused for 30 minutes; moved on to dinner and BT routine

BT 7:52 pm; really OT; fought sleep for awhile now he's very jolty. Not looking forward to tonight.
Jennifer xx

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #117 on: July 22, 2016, 00:52:03 am »
With teething going on I would not spend time working on gw just yet. Just do what you can to get through his bit and then refocus after.

Heidi

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #118 on: July 22, 2016, 18:00:45 pm »
Yea that makes sense...DH and I agreed to do GW when he cuts his molars. Hopefully soon! It's been a bit crazy especially on the nursing front.

So yesterday on a 5 hr A he did an 1:10 nap; today is 1:06 on close to 5A. Are these OT naps when on one nap?

Surprisingly he slept rather well considering he had a 6A to bed :o. He refused his CN and couldn't get him to sleep for awhile.
Jennifer xx

Offline JennVanessa1083

• Proud FTM
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Thank you!
« Reply #119 on: July 27, 2016, 08:55:47 am »
So last night DS was waking up ever 1,5-2 hrs all night long  :o

We did a one nap day after several days of following his cues since he has been ill. He still has a cold (side effects from chicken pox vaccine) but no fever. I'm not sure what's going on the teething front as he will not let me take a peak. He does seem to still be teething.

He's starting a leap too   ::)

Does any of this seem normal for his age? He hasn't woken up like this in months.

Our easy today was:

WU 8 am
S 12:51-2:31 pm (woke up twice)
S 7:30 pm

Woke up every 1.5-2 hrs

I'm have also been sick so this has been draining.
Jennifer xx