Author Topic: Anyone want to talk about the 3-2 Nap transition? Part 2  (Read 75307 times)

Offline Eva's Mummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 14
  • Gail
Re: Anyone want to talk about the 3-2 Nap transition? Part 2
« Reply #120 on: March 25, 2013, 09:14:20 am »
We were about 5 months when we pushed to 3 hrs, we didn't always get good naps but she was ok with EBT. I'm trying to push on to 3hrs 15 now as we can't gewt longer than 1hr 10 for naps but i'm finding it hard as she is always grumpy and tired at 3 hrs so i end up putting her down as i feel bad, but i guess i will just need to bite the bullet and go for it.

My beautiful spirited little angel

My angel baby girl

Offline Mummy23boys

• Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #121 on: March 25, 2013, 10:50:48 am »
We just moved to 2 hrs 50 mins but still getting wake ups after 30 mins. I'm able to settle him back for prob another 30 mins but its just not enough. Might push for 3 too!! Had ebt of 6pm last night and wu this morning of 6ish so I'm delighted with that! Good luck with it x

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #122 on: March 26, 2013, 04:14:29 am »
Ugh today was terrible after a good weekend ::)
1hr15 first nap - UT I think. Then OT for next one ::)

I may have to do a CN every few days to prevent crazy OT .... Our nights are so late with the CN though!

Em - we got 1hr10 with UT too...does she wake happy?
Melissa - they are so confusing! How many naps do you do on short nap days?
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline Mummy23boys

• Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #123 on: March 26, 2013, 06:33:55 am »
Our naps have defo improved with the 3 hr A. I still have to resettle at the 30 min mark but he goes off again easily enough. Yesterday was a 3 nap day so I'm taking it as it comes. Like you said to prevent OT. On short nap days I would do 3 and EBT if possible. A spin around in the car I have become fond of! Just to get out and about! It's mad here at the mo will fill you in as soon as I can xx

Offline Eva's Mummy

• Gail
« Reply #124 on: March 26, 2013, 08:25:50 am »
Yes she wakes uo happy, her naps go from 45 mins - 1hr 20. I pushed my first A to 3hrs 8mins yesterday and she did a 37 min nap, we went to visit a childminder and got home just in time for her next nap bu she wasn't having it she ended up for 5hrs 5mins then took a 1hr 10 min nap. Its so confusing, is 3hrs not enough but 3hrs 8min too much?

The good thing is we always have good nights, last night was 18:40 and woke up at 7:30  :D

My angel baby girl

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #125 on: March 26, 2013, 20:24:05 pm »
EM If nights are good then naps are easier to handle aren't they ;)
PushingbAs is sooo hard!
***Sara***

Offline theu.s.lees

• Showing Appreciation 12
    • Neyssa Lee Photography
« Reply #126 on: March 26, 2013, 21:41:43 pm »
Sara - I agree! Pushing A's is so hard! We are back to 2-2.5 hours.

Of course, the first A time is always a little tough as she wakes and plays a bit in her crib. Half of the time I'm at the gym at this time and DH is in the shower with the monitor on, but he can't hear her little coos. So we are guessing as to how long she's been up. I did get a second A time of 2.5 hrs after an 1:50 nap this morning. But if she goes around 2 hours for this nap, I will still have to add in a CN to not have a BT of 5. Thinking, like all of you, we will have to do a CN every few days if she's up a little earlier. Though I swear she always ends up fighting them. Maybe we will go for a walk with the stroller around that time to encourage a nap.

I agree Melissa, it is hard to get out. Do any of you feel trapped a bit? Since we are to the point where both of her naps are longer she has to be in her crib. She's too curious and won't stay asleep in the car seat if we're out and about.

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #127 on: March 26, 2013, 22:01:07 pm »
Ugh I'm feeling so trapped. Lucky Z is out most mornings with his nanas or auntie Rachael.
Our EAS today so far is
WU 6.40
Nap 9.10-10.55 (resettle at 50 mins so a touch UT)
Aiming for
Nap 1.30/40 for 1.5-2 hrs
BT 3 hrs later so 6/6.30

DLS is going to destroy us though. 6 e comes 5. CN that day I think!

I think T can do a much longer last A. But needs a short first. Bu it's so much guessing at the moment!

Do to have to resettle Neyssa?
***Sara***

Offline lily_layne

• Showing Appreciation 65
« Reply #128 on: March 27, 2013, 20:20:33 pm »
I think T can do a much longer last A.
That's the case for my LO.  She needs longer A times as the day went on.  She could do an almost full A time after a 20 min CN!
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014

Offline theu.s.lees

• Neyssa Lee Photography
« Reply #129 on: March 27, 2013, 20:45:44 pm »
CN are the death of us. We had two great days in a row, but then yesterday we had to do a CN. She didn't fight it too much, and we woke her after 30 minutes or so, but then she got OT and upset rather quickly (It was less than 1 hr from waking her up to BT). Then she had 1 NW and got up at 5:45 this morning! So of course, today is off as well. She does so much better on only 2 naps, but that would mean on some days BT is around 5:30, which seems too early!

I had to wake her from her first nap as M had his 2 year apt today (both had pokes, and both did great). So it was like a morning CN instead. Luckily I was able to get her home and fed and down for another nap which she did 1:40 which I'm very happy with. We shall see what the rest of the day brings.

I hope all of you are doing well!

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #130 on: March 27, 2013, 20:54:47 pm »
Yeah cn are rubbish here too. Nights are way longer without the cn and much more settled too. We've attempted to ditch it cold turkey but it can be a struggle as our day is now 6-6 and with DLS it will be 5-5 ewwwww. Trying to figure out how to fix that one ;)

I think T can do a much longer last A.
That's the case for my LO.  She needs longer A times as the day went on.  She could do an almost full A time after a 20 min CN!
Same!!!!
***Sara***

Offline Papaya

• Showing Appreciation 79
    • It's a dangerous thing, stepping out your front door...
« Reply #131 on: March 30, 2013, 12:01:11 pm »
that would mean on some days BT is around 5:30, which seems too early!

Does she tack? If she will do a 13 hr night after that bedtime then I think I think it's not too early ;D You can usually push out the morning A time a bit after a really long night. But if she won't tack like that, it probably is too early!
*Nuala*

Offline mtashkin

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #132 on: March 30, 2013, 20:46:04 pm »
Hi ladies!

I am new to this site and, honestly, to the whole baby whisperer idea. I have been following a lot of Weissbluth's ideas and have a "sleep consultant" on the Baby Sleep Site, but I am need some reassurance that what I am doing is the right thing. Weissbluth is all about "sleep begets sleep" and following baby's cues on when to put them to sleep. I did just that for about the first 4 months, at which time I was at my wit's end with my baby girl's (Emilia) 35 minute naps all day! I realized I needed to teach her how to sleep without being held. That didn't take long  ;D and soon her naps were up to 2-3 hours. However, then she started having a 3-hour night waking. The 'sleep consultant' said she was getting too much sleep during the day and wasn't tired enough to sleep all night. So, I limited her naps. Now, her naps are 1 hour and 10-15 min. (I thought this was pretty good considering the 35 min naps we came from, but reading posts on this site, it sounds like that means she is UT???). We are in the middle of our 3-2 transition; on day 8. The consultant said it was time because Emilia is still having a long 1-hour night waking. We started with 2-2.5 hour A times, so I decided to do it a bit more gradually than the consultant prescribed. So the first 5 days were simply extending her wake times to get to 3 hours. Her wakings have yet to cease, although last night she did get to sleep rather quickly after I fed her.

I guess my questions are:
1. Is the 3-2 transition the right thing to do for these night wakings?
2. Is it normal for her to seem completely OT by time we reach the 3 hour mark? Will that get better?
3. Should her naps be longer? If so, what are the best ways to help lengthen them?
4. On a different note -- she is a very quiet and content baby, even when she wakes up in the middle of the night. I have a video monitor so I can see when she wakes - not sure if I am just super sensitive to her sounds or if our sleep cycles are now in sync, but I am not woken by crying. If I just go in and feed her (& Tylenol now because she is teething - wakings have always happened - don't think they are related) she may or may not go right back to sleep. Most often, no. She'll take anywhere from 30-90 minutes to get back to sleep. If I wait for her to cry, she will take at least 25 minutes to do so, then we are in the same situation as above (varied time of going back to sleep). Should I always wait for a cry, even if it means she is up longer?

I guess it would help to know that she is 8 months 1 week old.

Thanks in advance!
Mary

Offline theu.s.lees

• Neyssa Lee Photography
« Reply #133 on: March 30, 2013, 21:05:13 pm »
Papaya - I haven't really tried. I guess I should. We end up doing a little CN (sometimes just 20 min in the stroller or something) so that BT isn't so early. But you're right, M used to just sleep a bit longer when we were transitioning and had to do EBT.

ZM - That would be tough with DLS. It may take some time to adjust, that's for sure! I'm dreading our fall DLS when we gain an hour. Because you can't set kids back and hour!

Mary - Welcome. Most of us on here have LOs who are 5-7 months, so at 8 months, I'm sure he's ready to have just 2 naps. Would you be able to post your EASY for a typical day so that we can look at it? Another good resource would be to check out typical EASYs for your age group here:
chronological EASY samples, 7-9 months

That may give you some guidance as to where you'd like to go. The 3-2 transition should def help with the NW. I know with S, she has no (or at least fewer) NW when we don't have a CN towards the end of the day. Yes, I have found it true that sleep begets sleep, but too much can also have an impact as well. Kids vary as mine have both always slept more than many during the day and done okay, while others need less during the day or will wake lots at night. Is her NW always at the same time? It could have become habitual as well. As for the OT for 3 hours. We are extending A times as well. It can be tricky as you don't want to do too much too quickly. If it is affecting her naps, then pull back a little. Someone had suggested to me to work on extending one of the A times at a time. So I did her morning one first without changing the later ones too much. HTH a little. I think if we can see a typical day that may help as well.

Offline Eva's Mummy

• Gail
« Reply #134 on: March 31, 2013, 16:01:31 pm »
We are stuck, we have been doing 3hrs 10 mins A time for a week now and we are still getting 1hr 10 min naps for both of them. I believe they need to be 1.5 hrs to be restoritive. Do i keep pushing and pushing the A times out, are we quite high for her age already?

My angel baby girl