Author Topic: Anyone want to talk about the 3-2 Nap transition? Part 2  (Read 75381 times)

Offline ZacsMumme

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
Re: Anyone want to talk about the 3-2 Nap transition? Part 2
« Reply #270 on: April 19, 2013, 21:02:25 pm »
Hugs.
JC remember it's day 1 and she was napping like that anyway so give it some more time. Holding your hand :-*

Our nights are improving now constipation is under control. Typically naps are 3 hrs A then 1.5 down with WU and BT at 6-6.30
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
  • Showing Appreciation 44
« Reply #271 on: April 19, 2013, 21:11:06 pm »
Sara, how did you deal with your constipation issue? Liam seems to have good days and bad. I thought he was doing ok but yesterday he pooped twice lke normal, but woke at 5am and was very uncomfortable. He ended up passing a very log type poop, then had 3 blowouts today?
My dreamed for Angel Baby DD (other than dreaded 40min naps) Born 4/30/16
Reflux, MSPI, Love my Spirited,textbook little munchkin DS Born 5/17/2012

**Siobhan**

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #272 on: April 20, 2013, 02:26:51 am »
Well....it's only ok ATM ::) it seems every time I think he's good he gets constipated again! But I have done the following to get it under control
- increased his lactulose dose from 2.5 mls x 2 a day to 3
- cut all solids but pear, pumpkin, blueberries (in pear) , chicken broth and prune juice
- offed sippy at all solid meals.
- make sure solids are quite warm.
- work on making him finish bottles sometimes he will have an extra ounce 10 mins after he is finished etc.

Those 5am poop issues are what we have too...awful! :-*
***Sara***

Offline Papaya

• Showing Appreciation 79
    • It's a dangerous thing, stepping out your front door...
« Reply #273 on: April 20, 2013, 08:52:28 am »
Hugs.
JC remember it's day 1 and she was napping like that anyway so give it some more time. Holding your hand

Here holding your hand too :) And yay for the great night!
*Nuala*

Offline mtashkin

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #274 on: April 21, 2013, 15:59:58 pm »
Hi ladies  :D

I am so sorry that I posted my issue and you so kindly responded, and then I disappeared! We went on vacation, which actually went quite well, and have been dealing with her cutting her two top teeth since we've been home!

To recap our issue: she is waking up in the early morning, somewhere between 2-4am. She used to just be awake and I would somehow wake up with her, so I would just feed her. Now she has started crying when waking, so I continue to feed her after a dose of Ibuprofen for her teething discomfort. The waking in and of itself is not my main concern - I would like her to sleep through the night, but the main problem is that after feeding her, she takes about 45 minutes to get back to sleep making her whole waking about an hour long. I have recently transitioned her from 3 naps to 2 and she is doing really well with it. Some days she is really tired before her nap and bed times, but I am able to keep her awake and smiling, for the most part. I thought that this transition was going to nip her long night waking in the bud, but it is still happening every night! There have been 3 nights when she slept 10-10.5 hours straight, waking at about 5 am. I fed her and laid her back down till after 6, but she never fell back asleep.

With her teething, her feeding habits are off and some days she just won't take any solids.

She is still breastfeeding and is has been a part of her nap and bedtime routine since 4 months. She very rarely falls asleep at the breast before a nap, but even if she does, it does not affect the length of her nap. At bedtime, I have to give her a sippy with EBM after being at the breast, so she definitely never falls asleep on me before bed. So, to me, I don't think she has a sleep association with breastfeeding, but I guess I could be wrong. My biggest concern with changing this part of her routine is that she is so distractible that I am not sure she would breastfeed enough when not in the dark, quiet (except white noise) room. I guess I could take her in her room at other times to feed her, but we aren't always home in the middle of A time.

Here is her EASY - it's not perfect everyday, but I am trying to stick to this as closely as possible till we get better at it:

Wake up 6/6:30am
E 7am (1/2 milk then breakfast)
E 8:50/9:20 (depending on wake time) milk
S 9-10:15 or 9:30-10:45
E 12pm (1/2 milk then lunch)
E 1/1:30pm (depending on wake up of Nap 1) milk
S 1:15-2:30 or 1:45- 3
E 5pm (1/2 milk then dinner)
E 5:45/6pm milk
S 6/6:30pm

So her A time is about 3 hours, sometimes I can push her to 3:15 or 3:30 is need be for schedule's sake. She has an EBT - the earliest I can imagine  :)  The days where she has slept longer at night but woke early were the nights she went to bed around 7pm (still having the same A time, though. Wake times sometimes just push the schedule later).

I just feel like I am missing something and there is some sort of imbalance somewhere. She rarely ever gets more than 10.5 hours of sleep at night, even though she is in her crib for up to 12 hours! Her eye-rubbing and ever-increasing fussiness are showing me that she needs something more :( I know her teething is probably playing a part in the fussiness, but the sleep issue started long ago.

Please help!!
Mary

Offline K-JDA

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #275 on: April 22, 2013, 18:00:17 pm »
Hi Mary
I have recently completed 3-2 and we are still having an EW/NW at 5 and taking a long time to go back to sleep. I have posted about it In the general sleep board and got some helpful feedback suggesting either discomfort or lingering over tiredness as the most likely cause - could this be the case for you too? You might want to check out my post to see if it rings any bells with you?
Sorry cant be of much more help!

Offline K-JDA

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #276 on: April 22, 2013, 18:06:14 pm »
Thought I might just post to say we had our first sleep through from 7-7 (with a bit of tossing and turning at 5.30 but straight back to sleep) last night and good naps the last few days so hopefully we are finally getting there with 2 naps established. 7 weeks of EWs and I really hope they are going to reduce from now. No doubt it will be teeth next! Just wanted to say thanks for your help and suggestions over the last couple of weeks.

Kate

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #277 on: April 22, 2013, 18:31:30 pm »
Beat update Kate!
We had had hideous long NW be a use T is trying to crawl in bed! Last night finally we didn't have it. I just hope he starts catching up now ;)

Mary, T is a lot like your LO ATM. I think it's part of the transition for some unfortunately. I remember my first doing this too.

One question...on the days you push her A times a little does she nap better/worse/same? And are her nights any different?
***Sara***

Offline Clairehv

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Mum to 2 girls. DD1 Sept 2012, DD2 May 2016
« Reply #278 on: April 22, 2013, 18:48:26 pm »
Hi
I am really pleased to see this thread. My daughter will be 7 months in a weeks time and has always been a baby who really needed the daytime naps but who used to be quite unpredictable and fight the day sleeps. However in the last few weeks and it may tie in with becoming established on solids she has good naps. 
Typically she can only be awake for around 2-2 1/4 hours max.
She has 1.5-2 hour nap in morning starting around 9. And around 1.5 hour nap after  lunch starting at around 1pm.
She normally wakes around 2.30/45pm.

She then needs a catnap any time from 4.30pm. I wake her by 5.15. Do dinner then start bathtime at around 6.30pm

The last two nights she has slept 7-7.

How will I know if she is ready to drop the cat nap. It has been getting later and then I have been doing later bath and bed.

I am certainly not complaining about our days but just wondered how I would know when to try and transition from 3-2?
Thanks
Claire

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #279 on: April 22, 2013, 18:50:55 pm »
Hi Clare - does this help?
All about the 3-2 transition- 5/6 months
***Sara***

Offline mtashkin

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #280 on: April 22, 2013, 20:49:23 pm »
Thanks for responding ladies.

Kate, I checked out your other post - so what do you do if it is lingering over tiredness? And if it is with her, it must be from months of overtiredness since this waking has been happening that long  :'( She does always rub her eyes like she's still tired after she wakes up and continually throughout her A time.
 I saw on that post someone asking you about her milk intake. I am wondering if my LO is getting enough - I often question this (as do most BF mommies). Wondering if I should try the DF. I know it didn't work for you, but maybe it's worth a shot?

Zacsmumme, this 3-2 transition was in response to these longer night wakings. I was told that having her only take 2 naps would help, but it doesn't seem to be doing much. She has been having these wakings for probably 3 months and the transition to 2 naps happened about a month ago. To answer your question, when I push her wake times, there doesn't seem to be any difference. I looked over my notes and I did notice that I really haven't pushed her past 3:15 for naps. Before bed we've gone 3:25/30, but the night waking seems to remain the same.

Thanks again,
Mary

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #281 on: April 22, 2013, 21:48:32 pm »
Any constipation or teething Mary? - these cause long NW in is house :-\
***Sara***

Offline mtashkin

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #282 on: April 23, 2013, 00:33:12 am »
She is teething, but could it really last over a month? She cut her first tooth on March 1st and the long wakings started becoming consistent on February 17th. It has seemed like she has been teething forever, but I guess I assumed that since she is able to fall right asleep for naps and at the beginning of bedtime, that she wouldn't be this bothered in the middle of the night. Hmmm...She is about to cut her 4th tooth, so hopefully she'll get a break from teething for a bit after that and then we'll see if that's the culprit. Thanks for making me take a closer look  ;D

Offline K-JDA

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #283 on: April 23, 2013, 10:52:40 am »
Hi Mary - I think we have combatted the OT in the end by making sure any short naps are extended where possible and trying to put to bed a bit early - a really EBT doesn't work that great for DS but I found 10/15 mins early made all the difference in preventing a meltdown at bedtime. I also made a conscious effort to stay in most of last week so that he didn't get disturbed for naps too. In the end he caught up himself by doing 2x 2hr naps and a 12 hr sleep in 24hrs - both of which he has never done before!

In terms of a DF - all my friends with babies swear by them - it just didn't work for us. Worth a try for a few days?

Does sound like teething could be the issue - here's hoping tooth 4 is thru soon. We haven't got any teeth yet so not looking forward to that one!!

Offline Skadiver13

• General Sleep
  • Showing Appreciation 44
« Reply #284 on: April 23, 2013, 11:30:28 am »
Hi Mary how old is your lo?
My dreamed for Angel Baby DD (other than dreaded 40min naps) Born 4/30/16
Reflux, MSPI, Love my Spirited,textbook little munchkin DS Born 5/17/2012

**Siobhan**