Author Topic: Baby Led Weaning Support Thread - Part 9  (Read 53581 times)

Offline Khalam's Mama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 123
Re: Baby Led Weaning Support Thread - Part 9
« Reply #210 on: December 06, 2011, 20:56:56 pm »
I have a lot of issues with texture with regards to food, lumpy mash! chocolate and ice cream! ripe banana!

Offline beckygatt

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #211 on: December 06, 2011, 21:24:10 pm »
Ooooh me too!! I hate sloppy food like custard, slimy, mushy like over ripe banana... I'm very fussy about texture. Hope my girls don't take after me! So far so good

Offline Khalam's Mama

« Reply #212 on: December 06, 2011, 21:55:49 pm »
I have to try hard to to flinch when K has raisins in his porridge or B sucks the grisle on a bone... I also don't want them to pick up on it.

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Showing Appreciation 250
« Reply #213 on: December 06, 2011, 22:27:50 pm »
ha! clearly it was my speech path spidey sense picking that up! my sister is the same... shocker!! (she's really bad)... BLW is meant to help with tht tho i think- no transition to lumpy foods and that to worry about...
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #214 on: December 06, 2011, 22:57:47 pm »
How do you know when he;s finished?
When they stop eating ;)
Sometimes there is some body language like turning the head away and looking elsewhere, it's not always obvious.
Mine rarely drops any food by accident but when he is finished eating he begins to purposely drop it over the side of his high chair.  I've spent a couple of months explaining to him that this is unnecessary and he is just starting to get the idea so now he pushes his plate away ever so slightly (oh yes, we progressed onto plate and bowl eating rather than directly off the tray) and if I am quick I catch it, otherwise the lot would go over the side lol
It is still hard to tell though, he sometimes looks finished and then just as I'm about to clear up he launches into round two and polishes off another entire meal-worth.  I do not know where he puts it!
You can teach a sign for finished, either an official sign language one or your own home sign.  If you do it each feed LO will likely pick it up.

Offline beckygatt

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #215 on: December 07, 2011, 07:29:19 am »
I'm fine with eating meatt off the bone actually. Funny how we all have pur quirks eh?

Wow, I cannot imagine S using a plate or bowl! A couple of times I accidentally left one within reach and she lunged for it and sent it flying with all its contents! :o. On a similar note, anyone know how easy it is to transition to a spoon or fork later? DD1 is a very good eater and has been capable of using a spoon since early on, however now she chooses not to use cutlery (except for stuff like yoghurt) and just uses her hands. At 2yrs 8mos I'm not sure if I should be concerned?

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #216 on: December 07, 2011, 09:48:39 am »
could she be doing it because Sophia has just started to eat using her hands? You said she COULD do it... i wouldn't worry too much i guess if she CAN do it- but is just choosing not to...
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline Khalam's Mama

« Reply #217 on: December 07, 2011, 10:50:31 am »
I agree. K sometimes uses his hands even though he has fed himself since 13mo when i suddenly realised i should give him a spoon.

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #218 on: December 07, 2011, 12:38:33 pm »
I made hamish this little batch of long meatball type things tonight (kind of little sausage shapes)- he LOVED THEM!! DH and i sat watching as the whole half went into his mouth.. DH said 'are you ready to tip him upside down' as i mentally ran through what to do in the event of choking!! But No probs! Also loved the brown rice and pumpkin today!! I kinda mixed it together to make it easier to shovel... I'm now wondering why anyone even bothers with puree! (I know... 5 posts ago i was a nervous wreck.. )

Oh- and Beckygatt- i just had a suggestion.. perhaps you could work on using cutlery either out or at people's houses (grandma and such) and home can be how you like.. if she's anti using it.. just a thought...
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 12:40:17 pm by amayzie »
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline beckygatt

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #219 on: December 07, 2011, 13:56:59 pm »
Hmmm, I could try but she's pretty hard headed my DD1! ;)

Did H eat the pumpkin and rice with his hands? Haven't had the guts to try 'sloppy' food with hands yet. She devoured some fish and sweet potato chips for lunch today though!

Oh and what do you do if some food gets stuck to the roof of the mouth? Like chicken? Surely you have to remove it sooner or later?

Offline creations

« Reply #220 on: December 07, 2011, 19:24:12 pm »
Wow, I cannot imagine S using a plate or bowl!
I introduced a plastic plate a while ago, sometimes he lifts food off it changes his mind about eating that piece and puts it down on the tray instead of the plate, never mind, he's getting it a bit at a time.  What's lovely is that he has started to help me 'clear up' at the end of a meal so whilst I am picking things up off the tray and putting them back on the plate so I can remove it all, he will pick something up and put it on the plate too!  My heart melts!  He will also put his fork down on the plate for me to take away, again very cute!  The slightly strange part is when he puts his sippy cup down on the plate :)

Recently he's fussed to get a bowl the same as mine, he does fuss if I don't give him the same.  So I generally give him his pasta on a plate but mine is in a bowl, I don't have a plastic bowl and think he wouldn't like his to be different anyway so I'm giving him a ceramic bowl same as mine!  So far no problems, he is tapping his spoon or fork inside the bowl to try to pick up food too.  I love BLW!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #221 on: December 07, 2011, 22:29:58 pm »
beckygatt- We eat nothing BUT sloppy food with hands!! It's summer here so he usually eats naked.. and i have a huge drop sheet and the ikea high chair with no nooks and crannies... Also is a good way to avoid sensory aversions  ;) I tried to attach some great pics but i'm not talented enough...

Also- i haven't seen stuff get stuck to the top of his mouth yet.. but i'd probably after a while (before i lay him down) try to clear it... although you may just push is down further.. drinks after a meal may help?
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline Khalam's Mama

« Reply #222 on: December 07, 2011, 22:43:41 pm »
For the pics click the plus sign in the bottom left hand corner on the reply page and you can add pics!
We want to see them.

B did get food stuck at the beginnning and I had to move it off the roof as he would gag trying to get it.

Offline snowbird

• Showing Appreciation 26
  • LJ
« Reply #223 on: December 07, 2011, 23:03:25 pm »
Mmm, not encountered some of these probs yet! LJ gagged for the 1st time yesterday - on savoury flapjacks. Too much was going in at. Time - loved them!

Ladies, LJ had roast veg yesterday around 5.15pm (with chicken) - parsnip, tiny bit of carrot, suede. Could this be causing her to be gassy tonight? She's waking every sleep cycle crying and seems a bit gassy - small burps! What do you think?

Thanks xxx

Offline creations

« Reply #224 on: December 07, 2011, 23:15:25 pm »
snowbird, I would have thought yesterday's meal wouldn't have an effect on tonight's sleep.  Something she had today might though.  Maybe something acidic possibly?