Author Topic: Gut and Psychology Syndrome (GAPS) Support thread  (Read 94154 times)

tigerlilly905

Re: Gut and Psychology Syndrome (GAPS) Support thread
« Reply #195 on: January 05, 2012, 02:35:10 am »
Jenn, did you manage to find some of the supplements you were looking for today when you went to the health store?

Jutka, how are you feeling today? Thinking of you :-*

Megan, how's Milo holding up?

Karen, how was DD's rash today?

Arthur still has his mouth rash and a bit on his legs. I think it's more then just teething... I've rubbed some coconut oil on it, so maybe that along with the epsom salts baths will help a little. Poor little dude. He doesn't act like it's bothering him, but it doesn't look very comfortable to me :-\

Offline Jenn+Ethan+Emily

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 107
  • So Big!
« Reply #196 on: January 05, 2012, 03:52:41 am »
I did find the fish oil so that's good. I think I will skip the nut/seed oil for now. These things are expensive! I'm trying to find the FCLO but amazon doesn't appear to ship this one to Canada. I can order from the green pastures website but I'm scared because the last time I ordered something from the states it ended up costing me triple the price in customs and all that stuff. Unknown to me of course until it arrived ::)

Anyways, I am completely broke now :P after my day of organic shopping. Chicken broth is simmering as we speak. Ready to start on Friday.

tigerlilly905

« Reply #197 on: January 05, 2012, 04:45:02 am »
Ya, duty can suck big time. It's weird, sometimes I get hit with it (like the digestive enzymes I just ordered ::) ) other times none at all.. I never get dinged with duty on my probiotics I order from the states. Depending on the product you can fight it.

I agree, it can get pricey. Try and get most of your nutrients from high quality foods as opposed to supplements. As Jutka reiterated in her email from NCM, NCM believes you only *really* need a probiotic + FCLO for supplements. Some ppl need the enzymes for a short period, others don't. Remember natural occuring probiotics in sauerkraut. That's a very inexpensive way to get probiotics in you :)  TBH, if we ate more fish around here I wouldn't bother w/ fish oil, but DH hates fish, and even the smell turns him off.. so I can only cook fish for Ds1 and I on rare occations DH is away for a few days. Also, in the brighter spring/summer you don't really *need* vit D. Good ol fashion smart sun exposure can get you the healthy UVB rays you need to get Vit D in :)

Did a google, this blog suggests ordering in bulk from green pastures ... I think that's what I'll do next time.  You can also still order from this blog. These guys are in BC http://eatkamloops.org/archives/1820  You can read the discussion below the original post...

tigerlilly905

« Reply #198 on: January 06, 2012, 01:13:26 am »
Jenn - LOVE the new avatar! So precious!

I think the enzymes are really starting to help!! :D Arthur was able to eat the most bone broth ever today - about  3oz!!! YAY!! (no pukes I might add!)  He likes it best when I feed it to him with a medicine syringe. ::) Takes a while, but it works.  Gotta get that miracle broth in!  I really want to be able to get some of these healing foods into him.  I still think BM is crutial, but I know it needs reinforcements to help get this process moving. He really must have been low on the enzymes!  He's up to taking 1/2 capsule 3x/day of the Similase Jr. enzymes, so I'll probably move to a full cap tomorrow morning. 

The Klaire Labs Vital-Immune arrived today so I will give that to Arthur tomorrow morning as well so I can monitor throughout the day for a reaction.  Going to be a pit of a PITA juggling the 2 probiotics and enzymes throughout the day. I re-read the part about enzymes in the GAPS book - they are to be taken before meals and probiotics are not to be taken at the same time, as the enzymes can possibly destroy the probiotics due to high acidity.  So spacing out the supplements is going to take a bit of getting used to, but we're doing ok so far.

He still has a full body rash - around his mouth is definitely still the worst. His poops have been amazing though. Bright yellow, no mucous - so that's excellent.  His top 2 front teeth have cut so I think the worst of that teething is over. Hopefully that rash will start to go down. Still not sure what to think of it.  Probably shouldn't have given him that piece of egg yolk a few days ago, but now I know. He still needs lots of healing. 

We ordered 1/4 cow from a local organic farmer so our deep freeze should be full in the next 2 weeks. Love that you can request extra soup bones, liver, heart ect.  If you asked me this time last year if I would want the extra "leftovers" from a cow I would think you were nuts... now I can't imagine passing up such nutritious, healing foods! Amazing what a little knowledge and some life lessons can do!  Although, I don't know if I can bring myself to eating heart yet.. maybe in soup it wouldn't be so bad?  I know NT has a recipe for cows brains.. I'm a pretty adventurous eater, even love raw foods - but cows brains... I think I need to really build up to that one! :P

Kim - Has H had his weigh-in yet? How were your hot dogs?  Mmmmm I'm totally craving hot dogs w/ sauerkraut! :P 

Megan - So what supplements do you have Milo on exactly now?  Probiotics & Caprylic Acid?  Do you think the CA is helping any?  Is he taking in more bone broth?

Offline kim&savannah

• Showing Appreciation 80
« Reply #199 on: January 06, 2012, 01:44:04 am »
rebecca--that is such great news!  I'm so glad that you're seeing some progress with Arthur.  We haven't tried any enzymes but it does make me wonder if Henry would tolerate some foods better if we did.  We struck out with egg yolk as well as the avocado and sometimes it seems like he is spitting up a little too much.  But then its hard for me to remember what might be normal for a baby to spit up just with burping and what not.  And I totally agree about the cow parts.  I haven't been able to make myself eat anything "extra" yet.  My brother, who is a chef, swears by all the gross parts, but I just have a had time getting excited about brains and hearts.  I do love the soup bones we get from our cow-pooling and need to ask if they ever have extras.  I know I can order extras seperately, so I guess that's how they do it if you want more than what is included in the share.

We did have a weigh in last week--14 lbs 13 oz, so he'd gained almost 2 pounds in 6 weeks!!!  The dr. was cautiously pleased, told me to keep up the good work feeding him.  She keeps mentioning yogurt and since I'm thinking that dairy is out, she wants me to try coconut milk yogurt which they do sell at the health food store here, but I'm assuming it has added sugar and everything.  I guess I should try making my own--not sure where to get dairy free cultures to start it with?

Oh, and the hotdog was good :)

Feeling very "crunchy" right now--got my diapers washing, dehydrator is going with the cashews I soaked earlier today and some zuchini chips, just ate some of my homemade saurkrat.  :)  An acquaintance made a comment a couple years ago about me being a hippy which I didn't think really fit (not by any real hippy's standards, I'm sure), but DH and I laugh now that 10 years ago, if you'd told him he'd be married to a cloth diapering, extended bfing, waterbirthing mama who makes mostly homemade organic foods, he probably wouldn't have believed it.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 01:50:47 am by kim&savannah »
~Kim

Savannah,  6/04
Abraham,   11/06
Henry, 5/8/11

tigerlilly905

« Reply #200 on: January 06, 2012, 02:00:49 am »
WOOHOO!! Amazing Kim!!! That's terrific news about the gain!

Re: egg & avocado - I almost wonder if Arthurs body was telling me he wasn't ready for it, kwim? He was spitting up egg yolk every time I tried it back in November (I think it was Nov, I seriously loose track of time) Then he actually kept down a bit of egg yolk the other day and broke out in that full body rash! So maybe him vomiting it up was a better thing, kwim?  :-\ ??? I almost feel like their little bodies know what they need and what they don't, so the vomiting could partially be just b/c they aren't ready for that food yet since the lining hasn't healed.  I'm really trying to refocus on bone broth. Arthur didn't love eating the broth before, but I think it was the high fat content being hard to digest.  With the enzymes in play now he seems to like it more, probably b/c the whole eating process isn't as painful or uncomfortable? Not sure though ???

You totally could make coconut milk yogurt!! Great call! You can make breastmilk yogurt too - I've actually seen recipes online.  I have used the Klaire Labs probiotics as yogurt starter when I make yogurt for DH - so something like that could be a hypoallergenic option.  It works just the same I think. I just did 1/2 tsp, but you may need to experiment.  Once you have  your first batch of yogurt already fermented, for your next batch you can simply take a couple of tablespoons from the yogurt you have already made and use that as starter for you following batches :)  Have you made your own yogurt before? It does come out a lot runnier then commercial yogurt. I believe Deb has experimented w/ adding gelatin to her yogurt to change the consistency.  I would imagine you could use gelatin from your bone broth though.

Offline kim&savannah

• Showing Appreciation 80
« Reply #201 on: January 06, 2012, 02:45:42 am »
Interesting--I didn't know I could just use the probiotics.  I'll have to try that.  I've only made yogurt once, a couple years ago, and yes, it came out really runny, which I honestly hate that texture, so I never tried again.  I'm a fan of the greek yogurt which is really thick, not the runny kinds.  But Henry won't mind the runny texture--he's only just recently gotten better with the thicker, chunkier purees.  He loves his broth.

I agree about the fat content being hard for them to digest.  The two foods Henry has thrown back up were high fat foods.  He handles the broth fine, but I think even though I leave the fat in it, it still probably isn't as fatty as an avocado or egg yolk.  And other than the very first couple days, he always has had veggies and/or chicken pureed in with it as well, so its not straight fat.  Too bad, though, because H really needs the high fat foods to put on weight.
~Kim

Savannah,  6/04
Abraham,   11/06
Henry, 5/8/11

tigerlilly905

« Reply #202 on: January 06, 2012, 02:59:39 am »
I didn't know I could just use the probiotics.

LOL, neither did I . I was looking for yogurt starter at the store and couldn't find any. When i looked it up online it seemed like all it was was active bacterial cultures (which probiotcs are, right?) So I figured I would try with the probiotics I already had in my fridge and it worked :) Go figure :) Saved me ordering yet another thing online! :P

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #203 on: January 06, 2012, 03:08:31 am »
A question for my knowledgeable ladies:  James has wound up on antibiotics :(  due to this nasty sickness we haven't been able to shake.  Not real happy about it, but he's been so sick.  :(  Anyway, ran out and bought him some probiotics today -- is it best to give them with meals or away from meals -- Rebecca, I feel like you were talking about this on a thread the other day.  I know I'm supposed to space them from when he gets the antibiotics (so they basically don't cancel each other out), but not sure where the meals fit in too.  Anyone know what's best?

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #204 on: January 06, 2012, 03:10:01 am »
Rebecca, just read your comment on *Becky's* thread about M's rash where you suggested bone broth.  That's another good idea, I've got a bunch in the freezer still so I can make sure he gets more of that too. :)

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #205 on: January 06, 2012, 03:10:22 am »
And Kim, most of my best friends are hippies.  :)

Offline Jenn+Ethan+Emily

• So Big!
« Reply #206 on: January 06, 2012, 03:22:26 am »
Sorry just a really quick post until later. So my Mom bought this hard core blender which I adore. It's a vitamix and it's AMAZING! Anyways it makes juice which is almost as thin as a juicer makes it except, the pulp is blender in :-\ Do you think freshly pressed versus something like this makes a big enough difference for me to buy another appliance?

Thank you!!!

Madly making almond milk, soup and scones for tomorrow! ;D

tigerlilly905

« Reply #207 on: January 06, 2012, 03:48:22 am »
Yay for your first "official" day tomorrow Jenn!!

Vitamix, a few ladies were talking about this on the Organic Thread.  Justine shared this link and it was helpful when I read about it. http://www.all-about-juicing.com/the_vitamix.html  Many ppl who have the Vitamix also use a real juicer for the full benefits of juicing. I don't have one, but from what I've read, the Vitamix seems very versitile and it does look like it would be particularily helpful when you're cooking everything from scratch like we're doing. As an actual therapeutic juicer, my verdict is still out on that one. We're doing juicing with a real juicer and from what I've read the pulp needs to be removed for maximum high nutrient absorbtion.  The link I posted above talks a bit more about the differences between juicing and a high power blender.  The fibre might not be an issue for you, but down the road if you start juicing for Emily you may need something that removes the pulp ??? You'll still get tonnes of nutrition from a high power blender, again, it's just different and a different theory behind it, kwim?

((hugs)) Erin. So sorry to hear James is still under the weather. Hopefully his little immune system revvs up soon! Yes, you definitely have to wait between dosing probiotics and antibiotics.  They should be taken as far away from the antibiotics as possible (for example, if the antibiotics are to be taken every eight hours, the probiotics should be taken about four hours after the antibiotics). Probiotics should be continued a week to a month after the antibiotic treatment period to replenish any beneficial bacteria lost during the antibiotic use. 

As for the "best" time to take it around food.. well, I've read a lot about that.  In GAPS it's suggested to take a probiotic first thing in the morning with a full glass of water or when juicing.  I've also read a half hour after a meal seems to be one of the best times to take a probiotic because the pH of the stomach is the highest at that time.  The pH of an empty stomach is about 1 or 2.  The pH of a stomach after a meal is 4 or 5 because the gastric juices have been diluted by the food.  The higher the pH, the more bacteria will survive the journey to the small intestine.  The more that survive the better your ecology will be. To be a probiotic, a bacteria must be resistant to gastric, bile, and pancreatic juices in order to survive the trip and arrive in the small intestine alive and able to do its job. Lactobacillus is one that is resistant to the acids.

The problem is when taking it with food, the digestive enzymes that the body produces to digest will likely kill a lot of the probiotic, kwim?

Definitely give him lots of bone broth :D  And if you have a juicer, I would consider juicing for him as well... maybe carrot juice, broccoli, apples ect. Easy to digest in that form and loaded with high vitamin therapy.

HtH :)

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #208 on: January 06, 2012, 04:03:49 am »
Thanks Rebecca, that makes lots of sense. :)

Offline Jenn+Ethan+Emily

• So Big!
« Reply #209 on: January 06, 2012, 04:15:03 am »
Okay...I am back!

Thank you very much for all of your answers! Oh, and I, of course, think my avatar is pretty cute too ;)

Okay, thats sort of what I was talking about with my Mom in regards the the blender versus juicer. I just want to avoid yet another cost at this time of course. My Mom has a juicer but she uses it all the time which makes it a bit harder to share. She uses the blender all the time also but I think I have my hubby convinced that I can't live another second with one ;)

We never eat fish either (I just cannot stand it!) so we got the fish oil supplement. I ordered a FCLO also. Then we have our probiotics of course.

AWESOME news that Arthur was able to have that much broth! that much feel like such an accomplishment after his struggles! ;D Great news about the cow also! I really need to look into doing something like that because it is impossible to find any organic beef in the health food stores in Calgary. There is lots of chicken but NO beef or bones :( I can only handle eating chicken for so long :P

GREAT weight gain, Kim!!! Amazing! That also must feel like a great accomplishment.

((((hugs)))) Erin! Having a sick LO is never fun. I hope James gets better soon :-*

Oh all this talk of yogurt reminds me that i need to make some for Ethan. I am not doing dairy because of Emily but he is fine with yogurt and he loves it so I'm going to keep that in his diet. Otherwise the poor kid might go crazy. I am making apple chips right now hoping that he likes them and makes him feel like he's having a "snacky" food.

Alright, I better head off to bed!

(((hugs))) Girls!