Author Topic: Gut and Psychology Syndrome (GAPS) Support thread  (Read 94167 times)

Offline bug_blues70

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 25
Re: Gut and Psychology Syndrome (GAPS) Support thread
« Reply #225 on: January 09, 2012, 02:30:01 am »
Anyone have any favorite recipes (especially for baking) they are willing to share? I think I'm running into a brick wall with this gaps diet for Ellen and I think I need to spice things up a bit for her...

Rebecca - what is your recipe for the coconut flour thing with 6 eggs that you were talking about? Also, if burps are good for digestion, then Milo is top-notch. I still have to burp him at almost a year old :-\ I think burping is just swallowed air...

Posted at the same time Jenn - that would be awesome with dirty feet!! How lovely!!!

Megan

Offline Jenn+Ethan+Emily

• Showing Appreciation 107
  • So Big!
« Reply #226 on: January 09, 2012, 02:38:30 am »
We made apple cinnamon scones. They have quite a bit of honey in them though. Ethan really enjoyed them.

2 1/2 cups almond flour
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp sea salt
2 eggs
4 tbsp honey
1/3 cup melted butter or coconut oil (I used coconut oil)
1 apple, chopped

Preheat oven to 350. Grease a baking sheet with butter or coconut oil or line with parchment paper. Mix all ingredients well. Fold in apple. Drop 1/4 cup of dough onto baking sheet and shape into triangles. Recipe says to cook for 15 minutes however, ours needed a bit longer 20 minutes or so.

Offline EloysH

• Showing Appreciation 102
  • Eloise & 2 boys, from reflux to gut healing :)
« Reply #227 on: January 09, 2012, 10:02:28 am »
Hey everyone,   :D  we have been at the beach for the past 2 weeks, back into town now and checking in.

Poor old Kai (21 months) has started his treatment for Blastocystis hominis which unfortunately involves giving him antibiotics.  It really sucks as the herbal treatment is 100% effective and gentle, but he can't tolerate the salicylates, so we have to do antiobiotics which are not effective but the next best option. Also he has never been on antibiotics before and I haven't whilst pregnant eith him something that I always held on to as a fantastic thing he had going for him  :( 

After  antibiotics he will be on a gentle anti-microbal called Lauricidin for 3 motnhs to mop up all the blastocysts (eggs) which are highly resistant to the antibiotics. Lauricidin is a fatty acid derived from coconut.

We are on Day 5 of antibiotics at the moment and he is also taking probiotics between meals 4 times a day. He is also onLactoferrin which is for immune support and is dairy drevied but he can tolerate it... it starves the parasite of iron, as well as 1000mg Vit C per day for now and continuing a week after the antibiotics are stopped.  He also takes many other supps that are unrelated to the parasite treatment but all promote long term gut healing.  He is also still on reflux meds, so all the supplements, meds and timings for giving them are pretty crazy and time consuming now right now but I am holding the fort, its only another week and the antibiotics will be done with and all will be a bit easier.  It is very hard to administer them to him as they taste nasty - no additives or flavour and needs alot of maple syrup to be added and mixed, then syringed into his mouth with hubby making sure he doesn't spit it out.

Unfortunately both my boys have picked up a virus and have fever and are listless, it is horrible but I have to continue with the antibiotics.  After talking with my naturopath we have decided to give him 250mg of Vit C every hour for until he develops loose stools (they are not painful for them)- this will tell us that his body has had hit his requirement and then hold that dose minus 500mg and split into 4 times a day until he is better, then go back down to the 1000mg per day dosage for a week after he is better.

Jukta:

Quote (selected)
She has terrible tummy pains,wind and diarrhoea that soaks into the nappy with undigested food bits through it.

How long ago did she start probiotics?  What you described above can be part of a normal die-off and adjustment period to starting probiotics.  It usually takes a few days to build up to tummy cramps and loose stools, and disappears within a week if you just take the dosage down a little and give a little more time for her body to adjust.  It means they are working well.  So don't dispair.  :) Can you email or call your practicioner that prescribed them to get some reassurance?

tigerlilly905

« Reply #228 on: January 09, 2012, 12:26:26 pm »
Jukta:QuoteShe has terrible tummy pains,wind and diarrhoea that soaks into the nappy with undigested food bits through it.How long ago did she start probiotics?  What you described above can be part of a normal die-off and adjustment period to starting probiotics.  It usually takes a few days to build up to tummy cramps and loose stools, and disappears within a week if you just take the dosage down a little and give a little more time for her body to adjust.  It means they are working well.  So don't dispair.

This is what I feel as well.

Megan: http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=220329.0

A basic bread I make almost daily is: 6 eggs, 1/2 cup coconut flour, 1/4 cup coconut oil, a couple tbsp of honey, 1 tsp ginger, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp salt.  Mix well and bake @ 350 for approx 35-40 mins. - you can also ad a cup or so of squash to this to make it more of a "pumpkin/zucchini type bread"

You can also use that same basic recipe (6 eggs, 1/2 c coconut flour, 1/4 c coconut oil) and mix in 3 mashed ripe bananas for a type of  banana bread.  All of the "bread" recipes can be turned in muffins as well.

Coconut flour can be tricky to bake with at first as it requires a lot of moisture, I was saying earlier that the 6 eggs to 1/2 cup coconut flour seems to be a great ratio.  On the Paleo recipe thread I also posted a link with tips on baking w/ coconut flour :)

Charlie loves the "breads" we make :) 

((hugs)) Eloise!! and healing vibes to Kai!! That sounds so hard!! I really hope he shakes it soon.  I know NCM has some natural remedies in the gaps books you could possibly do in conjunction to the antibiotics/supplements you're doing.  A lot of them involve chopped onions and garlic, so I don't know how easy that would be to get into your boys...not to mention the Sals in them :-\  Sounds like you're doing everything right!! You're one dedicated Mama!! I know, spacing out/timing all of the supplements can be so challenging!

I wanted to ask - what's the dose of zinc you have Kai on? and how do you administer it to him?

Offline bug_blues70

« Reply #229 on: January 10, 2012, 02:02:42 am »
thanks for the recipes and links! I'm excited to try some baking!

Megan

Offline EloysH

• Showing Appreciation 102
  • Eloise & 2 boys, from reflux to gut healing :)
« Reply #230 on: January 10, 2012, 10:53:34 am »
Hey Megan , thanks!  There are so many options I would have pursued for treating Kais parasites other than antibiotics but they all are high sals  :(  Onions are no go.

That recipe sounds pretty good, I make a grain free bread for Kai too its made from chickpea flour though, and I know on Gaps that isn't allowed right?

Kai is on 25mg of zinc a day as zinc piccinolate, powdered form. I mix it with little mashed bananna amd give it to him that way.   I get mine frmo a chemist here as part of a compund with many other supps in it, but I believe you can buy it from iherb.com.  Man that website is amazing for supplements, it is sooo cheap!!! I ordered something on Dec 24th from the USA on that site and it arrived on the Dec 27th -there are two days in there where there is no post!

tigerlilly905

« Reply #231 on: January 10, 2012, 17:32:01 pm »
Yes, chickpeas are out.. too starchy I believe.

Thanks for the tips re: zinc. I have never seen the powder, but I'm sure it's easy enough to grind up a capsule.

I was brave and gave Arthur about 1/8 tsp of Coconut Oil this morning. He really liked it.  So far, no reactions I can tell - although he still has his full body rash from a few weeks ago... pretty sure it's still die off, but who knows?! I mean, if it was just from the little bit of egg he had last week, you'd think it would be gone by now, right? :-\  It's still a very mild rash on his legs/tummy, the bulk of it is around his mouth and on his cheeks.  He looks like a 13 y/o with really bad acne :(  Hopefully he clears out all the gunk soon.  It really doesn't seem like it's bothering him. He's still his same chipper, active self... so weird.

Hope the baking is going well Megan :)

Better get to soup making while the boys are sleeping!

Offline bug_blues70

« Reply #232 on: January 10, 2012, 22:49:53 pm »
Haven't tried the baking yet :( I don't have any coconut flour... I tried to make some out of shredded coconut but I couldn't get it fine enough so I guess I'll have to order some. I did try some new cooking recipes today and they were a hit with both of them.

Could his rash be b/c of the digestive enzymes and not the egg? Or anything else new you are giving him? I agree it seems like the egg would be gone by now...

Megan

tigerlilly905

« Reply #233 on: January 11, 2012, 00:34:32 am »
humm... good point Megan. I guess it could be the enzymes. I did just recently up them... ??? Maybe I'll stop them altogether for a few days and see if it helps. Thanks for the suggestion.  The enzymes hadn't even crossed my mind! 

The Coconut Flour we use is called "Lets do Organic". I really like it. It's in a small bag, but a little goes a long way :) Here's a bulk pack from Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Lets-Do-Organic-Coconut-16-OuncePouches/dp/B002O1IEII

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #234 on: January 11, 2012, 02:21:22 am »
So I think I may have gotten to the bottom of DD's rashes. It happened again tonight (her hands get bright red and a bit puffy and rashy) and it dawned on me that I'd made our pasta primavera with coconut oil in addition to olive oil. And then I realized that when it happened last week I'd used coconut oil in dinner that night too. Now I don't think it's a coconut allergy - but more of a yeast thing - since coconut oil is a natural antifungal. I WAS on antibiotics twice while pregnant with her (once after an emergency appendectomy at 16 weeks and once after a BAD UTI), she was on abx immediately after being born for a mystery fever and she's been on abx a few times in her 6.5 years.

I emailed my holistic practitioner and am wondering how best to proceed - am thinking maybe caprylic acid and/or a targeted probiotic - like S. Boulardi which has show to be very effective against yeast?

Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline bug_blues70

« Reply #235 on: January 11, 2012, 02:26:34 am »
Thanks Rebecca - I'd been looking at nuts.com. It was just the first one I clicked on so far, but it seems they have lots of raw and/or organic nut products too. I just skimmed the site though, so I'll have to look more closely before I buy...

Karen - yay for figuring it out!!

Megan

tigerlilly905

« Reply #236 on: January 11, 2012, 02:33:57 am »
but more of a yeast thing - since coconut oil is a natural antifungal. I WAS on antibiotics twice while pregnant with her (once after an emergency appendectomy at 16 weeks and once after a BAD UTI), she was on abx immediately after being born for a mystery fever and she's been on abx a few times in her 6.5 years.

THIS completely makes sense!! Good detective work Mama!! Betcha she's getting die off from the coconut oil!

You know, the only difference between Ds1 and Ds2's pregnancies was that I had to go on a dose of abx during Ds2's pregnancy. I had no idea at that time that I *should* have upped probiotics and also "prepped" my vagina with extra probiotics so Ds2 would get them as he passed through the birth canal. I'm convinced I had a bacterial imbalance at the time of his birth due to the abx and that's how he inherited the "bad" bacterias we're trying to deal with now.  

Coconut Oil gave me a huge reaction - at first I couldn't even tolerate it, I had shortness of breath, felt dizzy, it was really something else. I stopped for a few weeks then slowly started to reintroduce it 1/4 tsp at a time, now I eat it by the tbsp no problem.

Does your DD follow the G/F diet you are on now? It might be worth limiting her carbs as well as the caprylic acid/targeted probiotic?

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #237 on: January 11, 2012, 02:36:42 am »
Nope, I'm the only one who is GF. I can certainly try to reduce her carbs some but it won't be easy at all. Will likely be easier to at least focus on limiting sugars. The amount of coconut oil in her sauce couldn't have been more than 1/2 tsp!
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline bug_blues70

« Reply #238 on: January 11, 2012, 02:37:56 am »
You know, the only difference between Ds1 and Ds2's pregnancies was that I had to go on a dose of abx during Ds2's pregnancy.

Me too, only Milo got a double whammy b/c I had abx during birth (for strep B) with Ellen which upset my flora for Milo in the first place (I was pg three months later) and then had abx for his birth too b/c of strep B. :-\

Megan

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #239 on: January 11, 2012, 02:45:25 am »
Yup - despite DS's other issues (dairy intolerance and some gut issues) I was NOT on abx at all during his pregnancy and he didn't need them after being born and has only had one ear infection. He does tolerate probiotics and coconut oil fine!